The Private Intellectual
Ecclesiastes-Based Real Estate Advice


Thursday, September 10, 2009  

Whoever puts his hand to the plow and looks back will never be fit for the kingdom

With my ordination less than nine days away, I'm going to try to spend some time in prayer, study, and meditation. This has been a long process, beginning in a formal sense over six years ago, and I had become rather more comfortable with being a sorta-pastor than I realized. The ordination rite has this address, a rare moment of Law uncountered by Gospel in our whole liturgical life: "Before almighty God, to whom you must give account, and in the presence of this congregation, I ask: Will you assume this office, believing that the Church's call is God's call to the ministry of Word and Sacrament?" Since Lutherans don't regard holy orders as a sacrament (though be it noted that Melancthon left the door open in the Apology), there is no specific promise of grace that goes along with the laying on of hands and the imposition of the stole, which represents the yoke of Christ.

The point here being that I don't want to just waltz into this ceremony as the obvious outcome of a duly-fulfilled process, reflected in the approval of colleagues and parishioners. I have to make promises strictly on my own behalf next Saturday, and I need to spend some time preparing for that. So I'm going to unplug from the blog for a while. See you in ten days or so.

posted by Benjamin Dueholm | 4:53 PM
Comments: Post a Comment
archives
links