The Private Intellectual
Ecclesiastes-Based Real Estate Advice


Tuesday, December 13, 2011  

Confessions of a Failed Evangelist

The new issue of Let's Talk is online, and my column is about being bad at getting people to go to church:

During three years at Wicker Park Lutheran Church I was uniquely positioned to do the kinds of evangelism we are frequently encouraged to do. I had a number of good friends of long standing living in the neighborhood, all of whom had at least a glancing relationship with church in the past and who had a genuine, if intermittent, curiosity about religious matters. And they had friends with similar dispositions who knew me at least slightly and knew I was a pastor. As an evangelist I had relationships to build on and social networks to move in. I didn’t view any of these people as “targets” for evangelism, of course - I wanted their friendship more than I wanted their church attendance - but I was not without hope that my pastoral role in their neighborhood would draw them to church at least from time to time.

Needless to say, that’s not quite how things worked out.

Labels:

posted by Benjamin Dueholm | 5:51 PM
Comments: Post a Comment
archives
links